Blackburn Meadows Renewable Energy Plant
Site Owner: E.ON Energy
Blackburn Meadows is a Biomass Renewable Energy Plant and district heating scheme, being developed on an industrial site 5.5km north east of Sheffield city centre.
It will provide 30MW of power, enough to power 40,000 homes. It is carbon neutral as it burns recovered wood waste, and will displace the emissions of 80,000 tons per year of CO2, being produced at the moment through coal power stations.
FSD were awarded a contract by main contractor Andritz for the installation of instruments. In detail, the scope included:
- Supply labour and materials to install 360 free issue instruments.
- Liaise with scaffolders to provide safe access.
- Liaise with existing site health and safety professionals to help create a safe working environment at a busy construction site.
- Fit and mount instruments (directly and remotely) and install impulse pipework.
- Supply instrument frames.
- Fit impulse lines and containment to primary isolation tappings, and complete welding of 12mm impulse pipe as required for instruments.
- Supply and fit impulse pipework for HP Dosing System and Sampling System.
- Supply and fit Pneumatic pipework and connections to various package plants.
- Fit and install cabling and containment for Environmental Monitoring Systems (CEMS). Mount CEMS instrumentation.
- Fit and install cabling and containment.
There were a few challenges: instrument mounting had to be redesigned following changes by the client. Instrument frames were dismantled so that the materials could be reused for mounting to pillars or hand rails instead of the floor. Plant access was an issue due to the nature of the site. Flexible work planning was required in order to keep the job moving.
Despite this, the install was completed to a very high standard and FSD maintained an excellent working relationship with the client throughout.
Additional photographs can be viewed in the Gallery.