The company recognises construction activities have a large impact on the environment. It will be the aim of this company, therefore, to improve the environmental impact it has through responsible construction and by conducting its operations with care and respect for the local environment.
Care for the environment is implicit in the work we do, as we assist our clients in striving for better efficiencies and reduced waste in the water and transport industries.
We strive to minimise the impact of our actions on future generations by radically reducing our use of resources, replenishing resources which we use and by minimising environmental impacts. We have regard for others who do not have access to the same level of resources, and the wealth generated.
Our Environmental Management System has been approved to the BSI Quality Assurance ISO:14001:2004 standard. It is the policy of the company to minimise its impact on the local environment through continually seeking to improve its environmental performance. This policy will be reviewed at 24 monthly intervals and where necessary, adjusted to meet our aims and commitments.
The Board of Directors of Company are committed to:
- Provide all resources necessary to ensure that the operations of FSD comply with all relevant legislation, regulations, government guidance and industry codes of practice on environmental issues.
- Ensure that all our staff have a good understanding of the environmental impacts of our business and what they are expected to do to minimise these impacts and keep them regularly informed about environmental issues.
- Take all reasonable precautions against environmental damage or nuisance to the site, adjoining property, land or watercourses.
- Communicate with the people local to the construction sites to ensure that work causes minimum disturbance.
- Make efficient use of natural resources by minimising waste, recycling where possible, and conserving energy and water and use of sustainable goods, services and works.
- Procure goods, services and works that have minimal environmental impact.
- Seek to use environmentally efficient modes of transport and reduce unnecessary travel.
- Endeavour to ensure our construction sites cause minimum disruption and have minimum impact on the local environment.
- Ensure subcontractors and suppliers are aware of this policy and endeavour to meet the aims of this policy.
- Review the policy biannually to assess improvement in environmental performance.
- Our design capabilities mean that we can provide our procurement team with more accurate measurements to minimise the amounts of excess material we buy. Excess materials are removed from site, centralised and re-used wherever possible. Our close relationship with key suppliers means that we are able to utilise sale-or-return arrangements
- We are committed to recycling wherever possible; for example paper and cartridges in our offices and waste materials on site.
- We want to make energy efficiency part of our everyday operations and switch to renewable sources of energy wherever economically feasible. We are implementing initiatives such as dual-fuel vehicles and low energy lighting where possible.
- Energy efficiency is an important consideration in our design work, for example, incorporating time switches in lighting designs.